Hearts fit together is a play on words from the scripture, “And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another."

Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring Break; Our Romantic Get-away

Last week was the kid's spring break from school, so Tim and I decided that we would use that opportunity to take a vacation together. We left the boys with Tim's mom and Rae with my mom. We left Monday morning, dropped the kids off at their grandma's and then we were off on the four hour drive to St. George, Utah. It seemed like a whirlwind trip, and it was, but being away from our kids any longer than the three days would have been too hard on them and us. This was our first trip without kids since our oldest was born, and it will probably be the last for a while since I will have a newborn soon and won't be able to leave the baby for a year or two. 

We had a fantastic time. The weather was perfect; high 80's low 90's. It was warm enough to enjoy the pool and not too hot to be outside for long periods of time. The first day we spent getting settled into our hotel, going grocery shopping for snacks, and playing a great game of tennis. Being pregnant and all, I wasn't much competition for Tim, but then again I never am! He could have played college tennis but decided against it. I wish he had because he did so well playing in High school. He's also a great golf player. He's so preppy. I love my little preppy man. 

After tennis we went to a very nice, very expensive restaurant called the "Painted Pony." It was probably the nicest restaurant we've ever been to. It was one of those places you should wear a sports jacket to and pretend you are really distinguished and rich. It was fun to pretend anyway. 

The funniest thing happened while we were there. We were in a secluded room (it was very romantic) and there was just one other table occupied in the room. It was a man eating alone (which I thought was strange, but assumed he was on a business trip alone or something.) Anyways, while we were eating our bread waiting for our entree, the man started moaning audibly. He wasn't faking it or being obnoxious. This man was just really really enjoying his food. 

At first I thought it was the music or something, but no, this man was actually moaning in public over his food. And it was loud. He was not trying to be discrete. I then thought he must be some sort of foodie, some sort of culinary expert or something. Then it dawned on me that he must have been a food critic. I was sitting facing away from him, which was a good thing because I couldn't stop laughing. It was hilarious! Luckily, Tim is much more composed than me and could keep a straight face. Tim also said he saw the man taking notes, so we are pretty sure he was indeed a food critic. Needless to say, I think he gave them a good review! 

After our amazing dinner (which almost made me want to moan), we decided since all the local shops and tourists attractions were closed, we would do something we never get to do with the kids around; we went to Barnes and Nobles and browsed around and each picked out a book to buy. We are both nerds, and book worms at heart and could get lost for days in a library if we didn't have to eat or do anything else. We each chose conservatively and picked up one of the classics; he got Les Miserables and I picked War and Peace. Both of our books were over 800 pages, so we didn't endeavour to finish them on our vacation, but we both have been meaning to own those books and read them before we die (it might just take that long.) We then went home and spent a romantic evening doing what we love most--reading our books. ;)

The next morning we got up early and had a fantastic breakfast at our hotel which was a real hearty breakfast not just donuts and oj. After that we got dressed and headed off for a wonderful morning spent at the temple. Afterwards, we picked up lunch then went to the hotel and got into our swimsuits to spend the afternoon by the pool. The weather was perfect, not too hot, not too cold. It was sooo nice. But soon, my whitey husband, fearful of a nasty sunburn (we forgot sunscreen, where we came from there was still snow!) we had to wrap things up and go back to the hotel. We spent the rest of the day on a beautiful hike in the terrain of St. George. The red rocks and desert scenery were really breathtaking and the pictures don't do it justice. That night we spent the night in with take-out and a movie.

The next morning we got up early again to enjoy the yummy hotel breakfast. After that we were off to pack our bags and head back home. I told you it was a whirlwind trip! It really was wonderful though. I'll be honest, I was ready to go home. Something about having little kids makes you miss them like crazy when you are away. Even though they weren't with us we still talked about them and thought about them the whole time. Don't get me wrong, Tim and I really really enjoyed our alone time, but that last morning, it really felt like it was time to get back to the kids. So, it was perfect, even though it was short and sweet.

Here's some highlights in pictures from the trip:


This one is us in front of the beautiful St. George temple. On our 1 year anniversary we came to St. George and went to the temple and took a picture like this, hence we had to repeat the tradition:


Another shot of us in front of the temple:



This is Tim poolside at the hotel. You can just see his white skin starting to look pink. Ironically, he didn't burn at all, which was the source of a lot of teasing on my part (he was so paranoid about it):


Here's me not looking very tan myself; this really isn't the best picture of me. Also my tummy was full of dinner from the night before and baby too of course:


Here I am, on our hike, resting on some volcanic rock with the vast desert in the background:


My handsome husband on our hike and the breathtaking view, either that or I was just winded from being pregnant and out of shape, lol!:


I should have just gotten out of the picture as I just ruined the view, but just look how gorgeous the red rock is:

2 comments:

Jadi said...

I am glad you guys had a fun getaway. I am ready for some warm weather.

The Chapman's said...

I'm glad you guys were able to get away and have a fun time. I think George and I would have done the same exact thing as you two did, although I think George would probably get me to laugh really hard at the moaning man!