Hearts fit together is a play on words from the scripture, “And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another."

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bobcat 5k 09'




During this year's Bobcat 5k Sam had a soccer game, and Tim being the coach, they both had to miss it. I was a little apprehensive to do it either, being pregnant (I know lame excuse, right?) and all. However, when Ky told me he wanted to do I couldn't let him down. Besides, I knew that I could keep up with his running with a brisk walk. So we signed up and I'm sure glad we did.

I also roped in my friend, Steph who did it last year, to do it with me again. I was happy to have a fellow stroller-pusher to walk with. She made it about 1/2 way before her little newborn wouldn't stop crying so she had her hubby come pick her up. Luckily, the 5k is very close to our houses so it wasn't a big deal. Not to mention this 5k is a really fun, relaxed one. Seriously though, I couldn't believe she made it that far. For those of you that don't know, she just had her baby girl 3 weeks ago. She is superwomen/supermom.

After Steph left, I caught up with another good friend of mine who's son is also a friend to Ky. It was so nice to finish the race with them. Both of our boys were wiped out near the end and you should of heard us cheer them on. My cheers sounded more like "stop whining and keep going we're almost there!" But nonetheless, we made it 'cross the finish line. Ky ran a good 2 miles of it, which compared to his 1/2 mile or so last year, is a HUGE improvement.

Near the end of the race, right before the finish line, there was a cone with a balloon tied to the end of it. Ky accidentally ran over the cone and got the balloon string wrapped around his leg. We were literally less than 20 feet from the finish line. It was hilarious (not at the time, but it really was a funny sight in retrospect.) I was so pooped and I just wanted to cross that finish line and here was Ky tripping on a balloon! Mrs. Hardy (Sam's teacher) witnessed it all and she got a good laugh out of that one. I'm glad someone could appreciate the hilarity of the moment.

After the race there was a carnival for the kids. Tim thought he might be late getting there after the game, so he had given me $20 before the race so that I could pay for the carnival tickets if he wasn't there in time. However, when I reached in my pocket to pay for the tickets I couldn't find it anywhere! It had fallen out of my pocket somewhere on the course. So I loaded the kids back in the car and retraced my steps. I couldn't find it anywhere! There were tons of people behind us in the race, so I am sure someone just picked it up and considered it their lucky day. Oh well.

We made it back in time for the last 10 minutes of the carnival, which the kids weren't happy about, but hey, how often do the kids get to go to a carnival? At the end of the day, it really was a fun experience. Seeing Ky's face when he said "I was the winner!" made my heart melt. I am so happy that I get to do these type's of things with my kids. I was really surprised at myself too. I thought it would have been much harder, when really the hardest part was getting Ky across the finish line. At least he gave me something to look back and laugh at.

2 comments:

AZ Bybee Bunch said...

Congratulations. Looks like you had a great time at the race. I'm so glad I found your blog. It is fun to keep in touch this way.

Tonja said...

That sucks about the money, but just look at that SMILE! You can tell he is so proud of himself! That is well worth $20! (so is the sight of getting tangled up in the balloon string, im sure. hahaha)