On the way to drop off Sam to Kindergarten, I was driving on Cherry Lane when all of the sudden I saw a car start to pullout of their driveway. I barely had enough time to lay on the horn and swerve out of the way as much as I could before the car crashed into the passenger side of my van. I crossed the double yellow line into the other lane as much as I could and almost hit two other oncoming cars in the process. The person who hit me never even slowed down or stopped, and just crashed right into me. She says she didn't even see me, but she should have heard me honking the horn! It all happened so fast, but she had time to respond to my horn and stop from backing out, but didn't. Luckily, a neighbor across the street was outside gardening and saw the whole thing. We called the police and had a police report filed. And it's a good thing too, because a few hours later I got a call from the lady's insurance company telling me she changed her story and now is trying to contest the accident and claim mutual fault. The insurance company claims that because I saw her I might have had the oppurtunity to stop and prevent it, and now they are performing a full-blown investigation. I can't believe it really. The police officer, the witness, and even the driver knew it was 100% her fault. I was just driving down the road. Yeah, I saw her, but it was milliseconds before she was ramming into the side of my car. Because I swerved, I prevented something much more serious from happening. My daughter was in the car on the side of impact and I am positive she would have sustained some injuries if I had not swerved as much as I did. Ultimately, she has no case and the investigation will prove that. I'm just annoyed that I have to go through this big long ordeal all because she is trying to cover her butt.
None of us sustained any visible injuries and, like I said, the accident could have been much worse. I am worried whether the baby is ok or not, but I have an OB appointment tomorrow and they will check to make sure everything is alright. If it's not, I do have no-fault personal injury coverage which will cover all my medical bills without having to deal with the other lady's dishonest insurance.
In the end, if her insurance claims mutual fault and doesn't pay for the repairs, then it's not the end of the world. It will be extremely unfair and dishonest of that woman, but what can you do? All I can do is tell the truth and hope her insurance company will do the right thing. Worse things could happen. We could have been seriously injured or killed. Thank goodness I was paying attention and was able to prevent further damage. We were pretty blessed that way. And the kids got a kick out of seeing the police officer. He made it a point to say hello to the kids and tell them how happy he was that they were wearing their seat belts and in their car seats. At least someone thought the excitement was cool.
2 comments:
I'm glad that you and the kids are okay. I didn't want to bother you on such a hectic day, but I kept calling mom to see how you were. Please keep me updated on what happens at your appointment today.
I hope everything went well at your appointment. I am sorry to hear the bad news. I hope everything will work out with the insurance. Keep us posted.
Post a Comment