Hearts fit together is a play on words from the scripture, “And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another."

Friday, May 15, 2009

Update on Accident

A lot has happened since my first blog, so I thought I would write an update to let you all know how things are going. Tuesday morning the insurance investigator came out to our house to review the damage to my car. He must have reviewed the police reports the night before because he had a completely different tone from when I first talked to him. The day before he almost made it sound like they actually believed I was at fault.

But the next morning when he came he was almost embarrassed at that point. He said that it was apparent that the lady never stopped, like she claimed she had, and that it was obviously her fault. He apologized to have to even investigate, but when a client lies about the accident and there are two conflicting stories they are required to investigate to get the truth. Thankfully the truth prevailed and I hate to say it, but I think it just made the lady that hit me look like a liar and really bad person.

Later that day I went in for my normal pregnancy check-up and mentioned that I had had some cramping and that I was recently in a car accident. My doctor was concerned and ordered an ultrasound to be performed at the hospital (which is next door to her office.) So I went in for the ultrasound and the radiologist found what he believed looked like some bleeding, either a blood clot or partial abruption to the placenta. They weren't sure though, because apparently bleeding is really hard to detect in an ultrasound because it looks a lot like a contraction. So they checked again in 30 minutes, thinking that if it was still there it wasn't a contraction. When they saw that it had not gone away, they contacted my doctor who then ordered that I be admitted to the hospital for an over-night stay and observance period.

They took a blood test to indicate whether or not it was baby's blood or mine, and it wasn't baby's so we passed the first test. Throughout the night they monitored mine and baby's vitals and we both seemed to be doing very well. We still had to rule out the presence of any bleeding though. That night Tim and Don gave me a priesthood blessing which gave me all the comfort and reassurance I needed that everything would be ok, no matter what happened.

The next morning they performed another ultrasound and to my surprise and the doctor's surprise they could no longer see any bleeding. Either it was never there in the first place (which I know is not the case because I saw the dark spot in the ultrasound they were pointing out) or it just completely resolved itself. Either way, baby and I got a clean bill of health and were sent home without any bed rest or worries of any sort. What a blessing!

We also got a call saying that the lady's insurance was going to pay for all repairs and rentals and anything else relating to the accident. I was so relieved, because even though it should have been a no-brainer, I was worried there for a while that the insurance company might just side with that lady to help their bottom line. I am so glad that they ended up doing the right thing. Whether or not they did the right thing because they were afraid of getting sued, who knows, but that doesn't matter. All that matters is that everything worked out.

Farmer's (the lady's insurance company) set an appointment for the insurance adjuster to come out and estimate the cost of the repair on Thursday morning. Unfortunately, that just happened to be Tim's birthday. We knew we would be running errands all day, and luckily Tim had the day off work, but what a rotten way to spend your birthday! I tried to make the day special by decorating the house, and having the kids surprise him with a nice breakfast. Later in the day we also went out to dinner at Tim's favorite restaurant and then went mini golfing with the kids. 

We spent the whole rest of the day taking care of errands though. We had to drop off our car to get an estimate at the body shop, we had to get our rental (which we found out we'll be driving for at least 20 days), and we had to go buy three brand new car seats that were comparable to our old ones. Car seat shopping took forever just because it was hard to find ones that were like the old ones and Tim is so stinking honest he wouldn't settle for a more expensive version. I think it's important to be honest too, but I would have been more than happy with an upgrade :).

So now we are driving around in a new Dodge Caravan with new car seats and the kids think it's all pretty cool. They've thought this whole thing is cool, from the excitement of seeing a police officer to now having a new van to drive around in. Kids always have a way of looking at the positive side of things. Maybe that's because kids don't have to deal with insurance companies.

1 comment:

Jadi said...

I am happy to hear that you and your baby are OK and that everything ended up working out with the insurance company.