
This is me and the boys after my 5k.

Here I am after my 5k eating a banana. They were giving out free hot dogs, but I passed! Can you imagine gulping down a hot dog after running?
I went on Friday to pick up our goody bags for the race and while I was there I talked to the kid's race director and she said our 3 yrs. old could run in it after all! We were so excited. She said although it was a school-age marathon, she left it up to the parents to decide if their kids were capable of it or not. So we signed him up because we knew that he would be so sad if he couldn't run the race like his big brother. So that meant I also didn't have to push him in the stroller for my race, thank goodness!!!
After much anticipation, the day of the 5k and the children's marathon came! We woke up at 5 to get to SLC by 6 in order to catch the shuttle in time. The 5k started at 7:30. I was up in the very front at the start so I had to go a little faster than my regular pace which kind of threw me off. There were over 20,000 people in the race so I couldn't tell where I was in the line-up. I passed some people, but because I was in the front, I was passed by a lot of people. I thought for sure I was doing horrible. By mile 2, I hit the wall and had to slow it way down. I was feeling a little discouraged, but I kept pushing on. Then once I saw Tim's parents cheering me on I realized I was near the end and started sprinting. I looked up and saw 28 min. on the board and then I realized I wasn't doing so bad after all!
Right before I crossed the finish line I saw Tim and I was so happy to see my sweetheart standing there cheering me on. I felt so proud. I finished in 28:57. And then I realized there were tons and tons of people still behind me. I didn't do as bad as I thought I was doing! This was my first 5k so I didn't know what to expect. Next time I think I will be able to pace myself better and have the confidence to know that I'm doing ok. This was a great trial run for next week's tri. Granted that's a whole different playing field, but I am actually more confident in running and biking so I'm am not worried. And now that I know I can do a 5k without humiliating myself, I am feeling pretty good!
The kid's race was at 10. Elmo was there to start the kids off! It was so cute. I helped the kids warm up and then they were off! Sam did not want me to run with him! The problem with that was that I didn't get to see him cross the finish line, but grandma did get it on video so that was good. He did so well. He said to us "I passed the big kids!" I couldn't believe how well he did. Not that I didn't believe he could do it, but he did it so fast! Here was a 5 yrs. old running with 11 and 12 yrs. olds! Most kids his age were in the way back. He was so proud of himself. Ky ran/walked it with dad. He wasn't as into it as his brother. He was just excited to see Elmo and to get a medal and ice cream at the end. But he is only 3, so what can you expect? lol!
It was a wonderful day. The boys had a blast, and seeing their faces light up in anticipation and accomplishment was enough to make the whole day worth it. But I also passed a personal milestone. Next week's race is a much bigger deal, this is the mole-hill in comparison. But this was my first race, my first experience in the world of competitive sports outside of high school sports. I wasn't there to win it or even be in with the front-runners. I was there to overcome my fear of inadequacy and experience a new feeling of accomplishment. And I did that; and now I am ready for my next mountain to climb.

This is me pre-race. I was pinning on my number. I was so nervous! Tim was there with me, so that was nice.

This is me right about to cross the finish line. The picture is all blurry so you can't really see me. I am right behind the Gatorade sign. Can you see me? I don't know if you can see the kid and his dad ahead of me, but they were behind me pretty much the whole race until the end. The boy was saying "I can't do it!" and the dad said remember you've gotta keep your PACE. Positive Attitude Changes Everything. It was so inspiring to see this dad and his son finish together!

The boys pre-race. These two brothers are inseparable.

After the race they both got medals and creamies. I snapped this picture right as they were yelling "I did it!"
1 comment:
You rock!!! I tagged you.
Post a Comment